Monday, October 02, 2006

Opportunities

So the universe is trying to tell me something, I'm sure.

Today I/we had another community happening. Another woman in trouble. Dave and I were driving along and happened to see a man chasing a woman and then punch her, and she fell to the ground. I already had Dave's phone in my hand and started dialling the police (you know, friends that they are of mine :)) in time to see three more young guys run towards her also.

They threw her handbag out in the intersection and she ran out to get it and started to leave the scene, and the men walked behind her in pursuit. We sat in the car, giving details of everyone to the police and to their credit, they said they would be there right away.

Dave and I kept driving (we had to find out the street name) and in a couple of minutes went back. Even though this was a time when I didn't want to put ourselves out there in a bunch of angry young men (and the woman seemed safe for the moment), I wasn't sure that it was okay to leave her there without the police.

Good news! In 3 or 4 minutes the police arrived with two very big officers, and we saw them tackle the man who punched her as the woman walked away.


My mum joked that I should just start staying at home and I joked back: "But who will save all these women?!?!". It's kind of a joke but has a really sad side to it.

Technically, our actions today could be unwelcome and interferring. On the other hand, it is never ever okay to abuse people like that, and that man belongs in jail. Not that I believe in our "punsihment" system either. But that's another story.

A good news story for the police today. A not so good one for this town. And probably a not so good one for all of us again, who looked on or drove past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home