Monday, February 12, 2007

What's for dinner?

I've had some interesting conversations with people lately on the theme: If you could have four people to dinner (past or present people) who would they be? And why?

It's a tough one! It's been so interesting getting to know people in this way that I think I'm going to have to start a blog tagging exercise and see how it goes :). Apologies to those of you who don't want to know about it!

I'm going to start. But I am reserving the right to change my mind because it really is a tough decision. At the wedding on the weekend I decided I almost need a "serious" dinner and a "fun" dinner so that I could cover all bases. But basically, what I worked out is that I'm pretty much interested in people, justice and spirituality. So my choices go a small way in reflecting that...


1. Tenzin Palmo. A Buddhist nun who live in a cave for 10 years and seems to posses more calmness and wisdom and spirit than anyone I've come accross. I have a lot to learn from her.

2. I cringe as I say it, but George W. Bush. Reason being: I have a lot that I'd like him to answer for and though I expect to be snowballed, I really want the experience of finding out what really is behind his bullshit. (I mean that in the most non aggressive way possible :))
(Maybe I could take him Mick and Clare's "Bring David Hicks home" sign :0)

3. Bono. Yes I'm aware of Bono fatigue, but I can't help but think, here's a man with a perspective that I truly love. Let's hope he lives up to that impression, and hey, it'd be interesting to watch he and George if nothing else. I suspect he could relate to everyone on some level. He's lived.

4. Dave. Truly, I'm not trying to be corny. But part of the beauty about marrying Dave is that he is different to me. He adds to conversations differently, he thinks differently and he asks different questions...and I'm interested in his thoughts. And ultimately...I will need him to debrief with!


So that's my start. Honorary mention to Gregory David Roberts who I'd like to meet one day. But not necessarily at this dinner table. Jesus could be an option but I think he'd be annoying really...not answering questions directly and all.

So. Cheryl, Dave, Jono and Mel...how about you?
(By the way, Dave, I don't need to be at your dinner table :) )

7 Comments:

At 11:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah... ok, it will probably be a completely different 4 tomorrow!
thanks rah ;-)

 
At 1:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus annoying? What questions would you like to ask Jesus and
have him answer? Is it resonable
to demand an answer from Jesus for
every important question in life?
Certainly Jesus gave\gives answers
to some very important life questions to many people, but given
the assumption that God is real, wouldn't it be reasonable to also assume that He gave us minds ( as well as His Son, great saints theologians, philosophers and scientists, artists and musicians etc, and all our friends, family and loved ones )to work life's questions out for ourselves, the Bible being just that, a fallible, incomplete, human attempt to comprehend the nature, meaning and purpose of life. As for Jesus being an option, for 'Christ'ians Jesus can never be an option. Whether you think Jesus a revolutionary, moral teacher, healer and miracle worker, Son\Word\Lamb of God, apocalyptic prophet or Messiah (these titles not necessarily being mutually exclusive, though I have my views on them) if you call yourself a Christian you have to take Jesus on, you have to take Him seriously, or you have to abandon Christianity, find a new religion or none. (don't know if that second option is humanly possible, at least not for me, cant imagine it(why? , or dont want to maybe. should I want to?) This is the choice Christian's living in the 21st century face. In an earlier time, a smaller world, it would have been obvious, unthinkable, or simply heretical to choose other than the first of these options, (not that their decision was therefore wrong) but in our time we have these choices. Isn't that what we're told God
wanted\wants for humanity - the freewill to choose a life in God, in Christ and in the Holy Spirit, after being given the freedom not to make this choice?

 
At 1:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

argh! Why cant I leave a comment here. I tried two times to leave
a comment, and both times it failed to appear. Im going to have to e-mail to get my point across.

 
At 1:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you got to two main posts, please use the second one, as
that is the expanded version, more expressive of my views on the topic
thanks. promise not to leave another comments, until I'm irked again by something else you post:)

 
At 9:43 am, Blogger Rah said...

That's an interesting response for a hypothetical dinner. I hadn't realised people read my blog that I didn't know...(or do I know you?).

 
At 10:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was the first anon (but not the subsequent) - sorry I forgot to sign in! ;-) mel

 
At 10:47 pm, Blogger Alz said...

I wouldn't have Jesus to dinner because he'd bring the rabble with him.

Alz.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home